Crossbone pirate Skullbuckle


The stories of these characters (the pirate lizards) Can be found at that URL.
-------------

  1. Original Characters Creation


For the most part, it's unlikely any written or drawn character can be said to be the sole creation of any one person. We don't exist in a vacuumn of creative thought. Half the time I think anyone who appears to be original simply gets their inspiration from  areas unknown to the audience--so the best you can truly hope for as a creator is to find new sources of inspiration that are unknown to your crowd and bring the new in.

Humans aren't very original.  I don't think it's how they work. I’ve never heard of or seen anyone who came up with something ‘unique’, and with the sheer bulk of humanity on the planet, any idea you could come up with has probably been come up with by at least 500 other people.

Attempting to give credit to your actual influences is good, which is more than most creators I’ve seen consistently do?

 Not that I think that's...a requirement for creation, cause that  Could become a rapid spiral of 'attempting to name every single person who created anything ever that influenced you and led up to drawing one scribble'.

Example:
If someone comes up and either directly or indirectly (through the ads, visuals, or forum posts or other posts made where you will see them) implies this:

You can’t draw portals, that was my idea! I was drawing portals first.
Or : I was drawing (mythical creature, drawing style, common mixture of animal parts, whatever) first. (Which is like weird as fuck. It’s just like ok. So. No one in the WORLD ever drew in that style before or drew a sheep with a lion tail, EVER.) 

The appropriate response is more along the lines of:
 Well technically, the first place I heard about portals was at 11 reading chronicles of narnia, so if you’re gonna get really intense about who deserves the credit for portals in pools of water, as far as I’m concerned it’s C.S.Lewis, cause he’s the first person I personally knew of  to use that idea.

And then move on and disregard. Or move on and disregard this ridiculous repeating attempt to make you feel like you are doing something wrong. 

Different thing:
When I saw shipwrights heavy linework of rocks, it was the first place and only place in memory I had seen anyone draw rocks that way. Credit citing, for me, if a little overboard is reasonable cause I really had not seen XD SUCH LOVELY ROCKSXD haha drawn in that manner. It’s very clearly different than most art I have personally run into. If I started drawing all rocks I drew that way and never said anything about it, that would be asshole move. We prefer to avoid asshole moves.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crossbone Pirate, Slink

Crossbone Pirate